Farm Safety Week 2018 takes place from the 16th to 20th July. The message for Farm Safety Week this year is: Your Health. Your Safety. Your Choice.
Simple human error is a huge factor in the number of farm accidents in Ireland – the operator forgot something, took a shortcut or a risk, ignored a warning, was not paying close attention, failed to follow safety rules or did not maintain the machine in a safe condition. There are many different kinds of farm machinery – mowers, tractors, harvesters, augers, slurry spreaders, balers etc. but they all have similar characteristics and similar hazards.
Competent Drivers should always follow ‘Safe Systems of Work’
- Know all the controls – this is vital to operating safely
- Use the seat belt
- Always 100% concentration – important to keep your mind on the job
- Safely on and off the tractor – good footing, use handhold. Don’t jump
- If you sense any danger, stop the tractor.
- Correct speed – Be cautious and adjust the speed to allow for the conditions at hand