Caption L/R: Anton Lupari, Ulster University; Lee Nicholas, NUI Limerick; Gerard Trainor, Queens University; Cian Bohane, UCC; Ntinga Mpiko, Carlow IT; and James Bollard, DIT, from the Maxol Ireland Students team worked hard at their final training session with Caroline Burton, Head of Marketing, The Maxol Group, before their International Colours match against Scotland at the Peffermill playing fields in the University of Edinburgh, which took place on Sunday (March 11th ). The team, drawn together by the Irish Universities Ruby Union (IURU) and the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU), succeeded in a 33-17 victory.
Monday 12th March: The Maxol Ireland Students won out over their Scottsh counterparts on Sunday at the Peffermill playing fields in the University of Edinburgh in a 33-17 triumph! The team had worked hard at their final training session before the International Colours match. The team, drawn together by the Irish Universities Ruby Union (IURU) and the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU), were delighted with their win.
The match saw the fourth and final rugby battle of the weekend between Ireland and Scotland. The Ireland Under 20s team is played Scotland on Friday evening, the the Six Nations victory took place on Saturday at the Aviva stadium, and the Women’s Six Nations match took playce against Scotland, also on Sunday in Donnybrook Stadium.
Corkman, 26 year old Cian Bohane, who stepped away from Munster as Centre last year to focus on his studies, captains the Maxol Irish Students team. He said;
“It’s great to be able to pursue my personal and academic goals and still be involved in the great game of rugby. I’m loving the college experience at UCC and the fact that I can still play fixtures like the one this weekend in Scotland for the Maxol Irish Students team, is amazing”.
David O’Mahony, Maxol Ireland Students Team Coach and former Munster, Leinster and Ireland player said;
“The Maxol Ireland Students players are a credit to their universities and colleges. It’s very gratifying to see such dedication to the game. The IURU is nurturing the natural abilities of future Irish rugby players, whether for domestic games or at international level and it’s been an honour and a pleasure to coach the best of our third level talent.”
Caroline Burton, Head of Marketing, The Maxol Group, said;
“As sponsors of the IURU for the last 26 years, we were delighted to support the Maxol Ireland Students team this weekend and wholeheartedly congratulate them on their win! Maxol is committed to the development of Irish student rugby and it was great to see such a strong and talented team line for Sunday’s match.”
The squad includes players from DCU, DIT, UCC, TCD, UCD, Queen's Belfast, Carlow Institute of Technology, the University of Limerick, and Dublin Business School.
For further information or an interview request, please contact:
About the Maxol Group www.maxol.ie.
- The MaxolGroup was established in 1920 by William McMullan. The 4th generation of the family are Company Directors.
- Maxolmakes a significant contribution to the economy on both sides of the border and markets a comprehensive range of oil and petroleum products to the Irish Market, through their Retail, Fuel Card, and Lubricants divisions.
- The MaxolGroup had an annual turnover of €551m in 2016.
- The company employs, directly and indirectly more than 1,000 people across the island of Ireland.
- Maxolhas been investing and expanding in recent years and currently has a network of 234 service stations, of which 115 are company owned.
- Maxolwas voted the most reputable oil company in Ireland for four consecutive years between 2012 to 2015 by Corporate Reputations independent survey.
- MaxolM3 Mulhuddart Services in south Dublin won ‘Best Forecourt in Ireland’ at Ireland’s Forecourt & Convenience Awards 2016.
- MaxolM3 Mulhuddart Services received Large Format Honourable Mention at the International Convenience Retailer of the Year Awards 2017.
- Maxol Ballycoolin Services won Best New Forecourt at the Shelflife Awards 2017.
- Maxol A26 Tannaghmore in Northern Ireland won Best New Forecourt at the Neighbourhood Retailer Awards in 2017.